Thursday, February 09, 2012

I Was Not Always a Reader

I just discovered my love for reading. Honestly, when I was younger, I wasn't much of a bibliophile. Just like other kids, I pent most of my afternoons either watching cartoons or playing street games. In pinoy terms, street games equate to patintero, syato, chinese garter, tumbang preso, taguan, langi't lupa, etc. Of course, there's also the non-running, not-so-physically challenging games of trump cards, dungeons and dragons, and gameboy.

By now, I'm sure you already have an idea of how old I am. But, anyway, my age doesn't really matter. I only shared that to show that I was not always a reader.

To tell you honestly, I've only discovered my love for books when I was around 13 years old. I'm usually picked-up late from school so I spent my afternoons doing homework in the library. Some days there's no homework and no schoolmates left to play or chat with and I'm left looking for something to do. That's when I discovered Nancy Drew, the Hardy Boys, the Bobbsey Twins, and Choose your own adventure.

Of course, when I reached High School, I was introduced to arts and photography. This kind of took my mind off of reading. My older sister, by this time, was reading a lot of historical romances and sweet dreams books. I tried reading them, but it did not keep my interest in reading.

By college, my reading list was limited to Engineering books and textbooks. Plus, I discovered cutting class, boys, and dating. You could pretty much guess that my fiction books were left to gather dust.

May 2011, I unintentionally rediscovered my love for reading. Never stopped reading since. Now, I want to share my thoughts about these books.

So here I am, starting a blog about books. And I hope that by doing so, I would inspire you to start reading too.

2 comments:

  1. Hello, Kikay Reader! ")

    This is a very nice blog you started. Congratulations! :)

    I just saw that you've started to follow my book blog, so I will return that favor. Hope to read more of your stuff! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Monique. To be followed by you means a lot. I hope to meet you someday in one of the TFG meet-ups. :)

    ReplyDelete